Monday, February 14, 2011

Roll on one.

While playing catch up yesterday on our daily movie routine, Courtney decided that we should view something with a bit more emotional heft. We peered over at the shelving that holds our DVD titles and let our eyes scroll across the plastic and paper jacket spines of the CD cases. Screening each title, my dearest daughter took mental notes of the movies that she hasn't viewed. She has this cute and peculiar way she words the titles but without a sound that presents it self from her mouth. With roving eyes and an ever slight movement on her lips, she finally said, "You know Dad, I never did see all of The Green Mile."



It was with that simple request that I moved across the room, retrieved the disk and made it's next resting place the tray of our DVD player. Pushing the MENU button on the remote we were sent on our journey into another time and place.

What can I say about this tale? Filled with wonder and sadness, celled in bricks and steel bars, we find our characters playing out their ordeal on death row. Many stories have taken place in a similar environment, but with this screen play adapted from a Stephen King novel, it carries a bit of an extraordinary flare. Mixing the religious and the angelic with a campy feel, this revelation of a manuscript sends us into the networkings of the cast. In this aspect, I found myself thinking of the good people who try to do the right things with their choices. I saw the angels and the demons sitting side by side and vying for the actions of man. How in the end, good will be served and the wicked will receive their just deserts.

Again, this one has an all star cast with weathered Hollywood stars ans character actors. Though Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan shine though out this visual, we should not forget the stunning work that Sam Rockwell produces as the darkest figure in the line up. With an absolute disregard for civility, he conjures a personal expression of an absolutely ravenous psychopath. 

In the end, I think the the story found a soft spot in Courtney's heart...A few tears at the last few scenes let me know that she understood the meaning of the script as John Coffey sang "I'm in Heaven."

Mr. Jingles says that if you like The Green Mile, you may want to see; The Shawshank Redemption, Dead Man Walking and Murder in the First.

This one ranks 7 out of 10 thread spools-Isn't that right Mr. Jingles?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed spelled to many words, so I removed my post. All I wanted to say was, I love this story. Great actors and a great story line. Keep up the great reviews.. LOVE reading them...

    ReplyDelete