Saturday, March 5, 2011

Xenophobes!

It's Saturday morning and the living room is echoing with propeller compressions and buzzing aeroplane fly-bys. Discovery HD Theater is rebroadcasting of the Red Bull Air Racing  2008 season opener from Abu Dhabi. I look away briefly to watch the pilots roll and spin their race planes in, around and through raised inflatable cones. It's tough not to marvel at the skill and precision that these pilots skillfully exert.

As I take stock for the morning, I can hear Max blurting out directions and locations upstairs-He must be playing some game on-line. Bobbie is resting for the day as she'd worked through the night as we all slept soundly. Courtney has been gone to a Key Club convention since yesterday and she's checked in to let us know that she's safe and having a grand time. The dogs are doing what dogs do...Slepping on their soft beds. Today's going to be a good day, if not, I'll make it a good day-Wow! Larry Pegram's on T.V.! That's one cool Ducati 1198R! See, the day's looking better already.

Thinking back to last night, Max and I made a run to the local Family Video joint directly after Bobbie departed for work. We meandered around the perimeter of the older movies and perused the new releases. Is I went though my check list, I keep mentally checking off the movies that I'd already seen. The only thing left was I Spit On Your Grave. Guess what? I simply chose from the inner corral of films. With Max satisfied with a couple of video games, I settled on two titles that I hadn't even given a fleeting thought to before. One was Afterschool, the other was Alien Autopsy.

Once we were in the house Max and  I had a  snack and talked some about the days events before he excused himself to venture off into the Playstation's virtual world till he's "dog tired"-Which makes me wonder where that term stems from since dogs sleep all day so they should be well rested...All of the time.

Anyway, I chose to drop...



...into the DVD tray. I figured that if I fell asleep watching this flick, I wouldn't be missing anything anyway. To my surprise, I found a spriteful comedy about some true-if embellished-events. The date is 1995 and our two blokes are trying to make the next quick quid. One hatches a hair brained idea to shell his mates car to fund a trip to the United States and purchase Elvis Presley memorabilia as a way to stock their hawking business. As their buying frenzy escalates, our blokes discover a mysterious man who claims to have stock footage from a crash incident during 1947. The place Roswell, New Mexico. Once home in Jolly 'ol England, one of our scheming pals decides to fund the purchase of the mysterious crash footage by enlisting an very peculiar-and intimidating-investor. Once the stock footage is acquired, hilarity ensues as our moronic mate tries to save his hide.

A good humorous photo play that'll have you rooted in one place as the proverbial "train wreck in slow motion" evolves, this one will appeal to those who've enjoyed; The Full Monty and Waking Ned Devine.

I must place this moving picture a bit better than a 5 out of 10 on my spotted dick scale.

1 comment:

  1. I love Waking Ned Devine. This must mean I would love this movie. I might have to check this out today, before you take it back. :)

    ReplyDelete